Apparently I am in the category of Super Commuter and it’s a club I never thought that I would be part of. A Super Commuter is anyone who commutes over three hours a day for work and uses more than one means of transport. I moved from East York in Toronto to a northern suburb. I work downtown Toronto. I am not sure this is healthy for me at all. I have gained more weight than I ever thought possible. The time I have lost in my commute is the time I would use for fitness. I really don’t even know how I got here. Well I do but it’s a personal story that I don’t own completely so don’t feel as though I can share it publicly. I came to the realization I love my work but it’s costing me. I am left to wonder if it’s worth it. This is what I have gained with my move:
- House value increase that is greater than the value of my old East York home.
- Affordable and awesome childcare. Like ridiculously awesome childcare with great programming and wholesome food.
- Wonderfully intimate school for my girls.
- Time to read, and it’s absolute smut most days.
- Space for a vegetable garden, if not destroyed by rabbits. They may look cute but they are assholes.
- Some great new mommy friends that got my back. I had them in the old hood too.
- Closer to family that help when that ‘sick’ call comes. And it always does when I don’t have time for it.
I am hoping those things are enough. Yes the home is bigger but I really don’t care about that stuff. Seriously when the family is together we occupy the same 20 square feet anyway. Right now our girls like being with us so I’ll take all the snuggles I can get. Let’s see what the next three months brings while I figure out if this move was worth it. The Super Power I would want instead of Super Commuter would be eating without consequence but this is the one I got. Let’s work with it. Or change it.